The Soil Moisture Active and Passive (SMAP) mission is one of four "Tier-1" missions recommended by the U.S. National Research Council Committee on Earth Science and Applications from Space.
- SMAP launch is currently planned for October, 2014.
- SMAP successfully passed the Key Decision Point-C (KDP-C) review in May, 2012 and is now in Phase C of the mission.
- SMAP succesfully completed its Critical Design Review (CDR) in July, 2012.
- SMAP System Integration Review (SIR) scheduled in April, 2013.
- SMAP Phase D (System Integration and Test) scheduled to begin in May 2013.