The Soil Moisture Active and Passive (SMAP) mission is one of four "Tier-1" missions recommended by the U.S. National Research Council Committee on Earth Science and Applications from Space.
- SMAP completed Key Decision Point-C (KDP-C) review in May, 2012 entering Phase C.
- SMAP completed Critical Design Review (CDR) in July, 2012.
- SMAP completed System Integration Review (SIR) in April, 2013.
- SMAP entered Phase D (System Integration and Test) in June 2013.
- SMAP launch is currently planned for no earlier than mid-December 2014.