Cal/Val Program Objectives:
- Pre-launch: Acquire and process data to calibrate, test, and improve models and algorithms for SMAP science data products. Develop and test techniques and protocols that will be used to validate SMAP data products after launch.
- Post-launch: Verify and improve performance of the science algorithms. Validate accuracies of the science data products.
- Calibration: The set of operations that establish, under specified conditions, the relationship between sets of values of quantities indicated by a measuring instrument or measuring system and the corresponding values realized by standards.
- Validation: The process of assessing by independent means the quality of the data products derived from the system outputs.
Validation Methods and Resources:
- Homogenous and heterogeneous targets
- In situ observations
- Truck- and tower-based radiometers and radars
- Aircraft-based radiometers and radars
- Scaling methodologies
- Modeling and data assimilation
- SMAP Science Data Cal/Val Plan (PDF): Describes pre- and post-launch activities conducted under the SMAP Cal/Val program.
- SMAP Cal/Val Partners
- Field Campaigns
- 1st SMAP Cal/Val Workshop - in conjunction with SMAP Algorithms Workshop, June 9-11, 2009, Oxnard, CA
- 2nd SMAP Cal/Val Workshop - May 3-5, 2011 Oxnard, CA.
- 3rd SMAP Cal/Val Workshop - November 14-16, 2012, Oxnard, CA
- 4th SMAP Cal/Val Workshop - November 5-7, 2013, Pasadena, CA
- 5th SMAP Cal/Val Workshop - September 8-10, 2014, Pasadena, CA
- 6th SMAP Cal/Val Workshop - September 1-3, 2015, Columbia, MD
- 7th SMAP Cal/Val Workshop - September 19-21, 2016, New York City, NY
- 8th SMAP Cal/Val Workshop - June 20-22, 2017, Amherst, MA
- 9th SMAP Cal/Val Workshop - October 22-23, 2018, Fairfax, VA