The tutorial was hosted by the Alaska Satellite Facility (ASF) in Fairbanks Alaska on September 18-20, 2012.
- Address value-added data products and science returns from combined SMAP/ICESat-2 data
- Identify the challenges and needs of cryosphere, northern forests, land and ocean science applications
- Identify new users for SMAP mapping radar and ICESat-2 altimetry data, e.g. vegetation mapping, sea-ice mapping, etc.
- Motivate joint mission efforts and innovative applications with prelaunch hydrosphere and cryosphere applications using other mission products from existing missions.
- Connect the mission science with the Alaskan communities in order to indentify the benefits from incorporating SMAP soil moisture, surface freeze thaw state and ICESat-2 products into existing research, operational applications and local decision-making agencies.